Friday, November 1, 2013

Baby Making Part 2

Day 58: Nov. 1, 2013

Its baby making part 2. Get your popcorn.

We were one year into trying to get pregnant, and I called a doctor in Austin who said, lets shoot some die into your tubes to find out if they're blocked. No, they weren't blocked. Then he found some pre-cancerous cells on my cervix which needed to be removed, so baby making was put off for nine months. Then we moved to Oregon.

Three years went by. During that time, I started looking on an open adoption website and memorized all the people waiting for babies. I looked every day to see who was still there, to read testimonials, to look at pictures of happy families. I also decided to have some fun. Travel (we went to New Zealand twice (my parents were living there at the time,)) we went to England and France, we went to movies, played softball, hung out with other childless couples.

My husband began to wonder out loud if not having babies would be so bad.

I called a specialist. His name is Doug Austin, and if I could have dinner with him every night I would because he's that amazing.

We tried a few months of very mild drugs and baby making techniques that didn't take place between the sheets, and finally I said, I want a baby, and I'm willing to go all the way. Dr. Austin said, why didn't you say so in the first place, let's get going, and we started down the IVF road. Every step of the way, I was sure there would be failure, and every step of the way, Dr. A was sure it would work.  He knew. He was upbeat in the face of every possible downfall.

Here were some of the fun parts. In the middle of violin lessons, I had to excuse myself to stab myself in the abdomen with powerful hormones, and return with a smile and reassurance that all was well. One really fun drug caused insomnia, and I'm talking, all night long, lying on the pillow with my eyes open.

The very most fun, for real was the day the eggs were gathered. I was put to sleep for the procedure and I was so happy to be asleep, nothing else mattered, and I could have remained that way for the rest of my life. Then we had to wait three days at which point my husband went in at exactly 9:09 to deliver the goods, and at exactly 9:17, the doctor conceived my children! Of course, I didn't know that then, so I was in a constant state of hidden anxiety. Would they survive? (There were 9.) We went in three days after that and four embryos were transferred into my uterus. I will not go into detail about this, even though there is a story to tell. Maybe if I ever write a book, I'll tell it then.

After the transfer, the big guns came out. A three inch needle was inserted in to my hip every night for two weeks with a hormone that made me so tired and cranky, I wasn't sure who I was anymore. And every day I felt twinges of this or that, and wondered, am I pregnant???  That was probably the most agonizing two weeks of my life. But the two weeks passed, as all two weeks do, and the blood test was positive. When the nurse called, I fell to my knees and my husband cried.

Stay tuned for part 3, tomorrow.

Coffee: Only tea today

Cups and Bags: My wonderful, most best friend besides my husband in the world, bought himself a coffee cup! This is big. I'm giving that one action another $10. So, we're up to $73!


No comments:

Post a Comment